Mr. Kang specializes in representing public agencies, private individuals, and business entities in redevelopment related litigation; defending CEQA challenges, construction defect and other breach of contract matters; tort liability; and various other business and commercial matters. In addition, Mr. Kang has litigated actions involving Public Records Act and Brown Act allegations. He has substantial experience in pre-litigation client advisory services; pleading practice, including writs of mandate and complaints for declaratory and injunctive relief; discovery and motion practice; settlement conferences and mediation, and trials and appeals.
- Prevailed in a CEQA action on behalf of the City of Huntington Beach that resulted in a large senior center project being found CEQA compliant and authorizing the issuance of a conditional use permit.
- Represented numerous cities and successor agencies in challenging Department of Finance determinations in redevelopment dissolution cases.
- Successfully negotiated a settlement on behalf of the City of Culver City in a breach of contract action for pennies on the dollar where the potential exposure to the City was approximately $34 million.
- Successfully represented multiple directors and officers of Mirae Bank in shareholder, bondholder and FDIC lawsuits;
- Successfully defended Los Angeles clothing manufacturers from a multi-million dollar §1700 civil suit brought by the Los Angeles City Attorney.
- “Density Bonus Law Could Lead to Less Affordable Housing,” Co-Author, Daily Journal, (December 23, 2016)
- “Two Cases Are Game Changers for Condemnation Authorities,” Co-Author, Daily Journal (January 9, 2017)
- “Which Writ for What” – California State Bar Webinar (April 12, 2017)
- “Officials and Staff Personal Devices – When Are the Contents on Your Personal Device a Public Record,” Speaker, California Special Districts Association (June 26, 2017)
- Loyola Law School, Juris Doctor, 2004
- Pitzer College, B.A. History, 2000
- State Bar of California (2005)
- United States District Court, Central District of California (2007)