Rick R. Olivarez
As City Attorney to municipal corporations, Mr. Olivarez advises on all aspects of municipal law, but specializes in ethics, Public Records Act, open government law, and public contracts.
As general counsel to schools, Mr. Olivarez serves as the core legal advisor to the school board and staff on various legal issues including, but not limited to, conflict of interest, ethics, investigations and personnel matters. He has particular expertise involving investigations of misconduct, harassment and retaliation.
In his private practice, Mr. Olivarez has experience drafting and negotiating contracts and in litigating construction and real property disputes.
Mr. Olivarez attended the University of California at Los Angeles and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science. He received his J.D. from the American University where he served as member of the school’s nationally ranked clinical law program. Mr. Olivarez was admitted to the California Bar in 1997.
In addition, Mr. Olivarez is a frequent speaker on topics related to ethics and conflict of interest. He was most recently a featured speaker at the annual conference of the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointment Officials (NALEO) where he gave a presentation on ethics and conflict of interest to newly elected school board members.
- President, White Memorial Medical Center Charitable Foundation
- Board of Directors, NALEO Educational Fund
- Speaker, NALEO Institute for Newly Elected Officials, November 2014, Washington, D.C., “Ethics – Top 10 Things to Do to Avoid Getting Indicted”
- American University, J.D., 1997
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., 1992
- State Bar of California (1997)