Victor Ponto is a Partner with Olivarez Madruga Lemieux O’Neill. He currently serves as the City Attorney for the cities of Cudahy and Adelanto as well as the Assistant General Counsel for the Eastern Municipal Water District. Mr. Ponto also served as the Assistant City Attorney for the City of Fontana, and Deputy City Attorney for the cities of El Monte, Cudahy, Huntington Park, and San Fernando. He also served as Assistant General Counsel for the Elsinore Municipal Water District, Hi-Desert Water District, El Monte Union High School District, and the Central Basin Municipal Water District.
Mr. Ponto advises public agencies and private businesses on a variety of issues, including those related to cannabis legalization. Mr. Ponto has drafted dozens of land use ordinances regulating cannabis and assists in creating commercial and residential cannabis permitting regulations. He also regularly leads workshops and lectures on regulatory options related to cannabis and conducts webinars on the legalities of the Medicinal and Adult Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act, Medical Marijuana Regulation and Safety Act, Adult Use of Marijuana Act (Proposition 64), and the Medicinal and Adult Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act.
Mr. Ponto also provides legal services to cities, school districts, municipal water agencies, and other government entities throughout Southern California. His practice involves city attorney and general counsel services. He frequently advises public agency clients on general municipal law issues with an emphasis on land use, public contracting, internal investigations, and compliance with open government laws.
- Coming to Your Town Soon: Cannabis (Maybe), State’s Proposed Permanent Marijuana
Regulations Limit Local Authority, LEGAL ALERTS, Aug. 14, 2018.
- Cannabis Regulation Patchwork in California, BB&K Attorney Victor Ponto Examines Differences in PublicCEO, May 25, 2018.
- 2018 California Public Agency Laws – Part III, Cannabis, LAFCO Law and a Round Up of Other New Laws Impacting Public Agencies, LEGAL ALERTS, Jan. 11, 2018
- New Fed Cannabis Policy Hits California Local Government, Potential Fiscal Impacts and Confusion, LEGAL ALERTS, Jan. 11, 2018.
- The Smoke Clears? AB 133 Passes, Bill Makes Numerous Changes to California Cannabis Laws — Effective Immediately, LEGAL ALERTS, Sep. 20, 2017
- Taxes By Voter Initiative Not Restricted By Article XIII C of the California Constitution, California Supreme Court Holds That Article XIII C Does Not Restrict Initiative Power To Impose Taxes, LEGAL ALERTS, Aug. 29, 2017.
- New California Law Simplifies and Harmonizes Medical and Recreational Cannabis Regulations, Bill Collapses Two into One Regulatory Scheme, LEGAL ALERTS, June 27, 2017.
- Deadline Removed for Local Government Regulation of Medical Marijuana Cultivation in
California, Cities Will Have More Time to Regulate, LEGAL ALERTS, Feb. 8, 2016.
- University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley Law School, J.D.
- Berkeley Law School-Harvard Law School Exchange Program
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A. history, magna cum laude
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Massachusetts