Edward Kang joined Olivarez Madruga Law Organization LLP in 2018. He is an experienced litigator practicing in the areas of real estate, municipal, environmental, commercial, employment, business and redevelopment law.
Mr. Kang specializes in representing public agencies, private individuals, and business entities in redevelopment related litigation; defending CEQA challenges, construction defect and other breach of contract matters; tort liability; and various other business and commercial matters. In addition, Mr. Kang has litigated actions involving Public Records Act and Brown Act allegations. He has substantial experience in pre-litigation client advisory services; pleading practice, including writs of mandate and complaints for declaratory and injunctive relief; discovery and motion practice; settlement conferences and mediation, and trials and appeals.
Selected Representative Matters
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in a breach of contract case brought against the City of Huntington Park in which a former vendor sought approximately $3 million in damages against the City.
- Prevailed in a CEQA action on behalf of the City of Huntington Beach that resulted in a large senior center project being found CEQA compliant and authorizing the issuance of a conditional use permit.
- Obtained dismissal of an action brought against the City of Lynwood brought by a former councilmember for government waste, false light and false claims via a successful Anti-SLAPP motion.
- Represented numerous cities and successor agencies in challenging Department of Finance determinations in redevelopment dissolution cases.
- Successfully negotiated a settlement on behalf of the City of Culver City in a breach of contract action for pennies on the dollar where the potential exposure to the City was approximately $34 million.
- Successfully represented multiple directors and officers of Mirae Bank in shareholder, bondholder and FDIC lawsuits;
- Successfully defended Los Angeles clothing manufacturers from a multi-million dollar §1700 civil suit brought by the Los Angeles City Attorney.